internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Anyone heard of this website?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott G. Hall" <ScottGHall AT BellSouth.Net>
  • To: "Internetworkers Discussion List" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Anyone heard of this website?
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 02:12:20 -0400

On 7-May-2005 07:14 EDT, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
Personally I hate getting "newsletters" in email figuring any news that's fit to read will be available on a regular 'ol website, and thus
concluded advertising in such a medium would just piss off potential
customers. But then you apparently like subscribing to these things,
so who knows?

Well, you've got me there... I do receive about 40 to 60 of these a day.
But I have gotten good at scanning through them real fast, and I use a
Linux system with procmail using my own filter to scan through them
automatically, squirreling away desired articles into digests that I can
read in the morning with my cereal. And I funnel each of them through
tunnel email addresses, so I know who has sold what name to what spammer.
All I have to do is keep up my "interests list" of what I want the filter
to save as my needs of the moment change. (One time I may be scanning
for backup solutions or techniques, such as SANs and such, another time
I may be interested in the latest DB2 news with a little Oracle thrown
in, and so on) I am attempting to license my filter to news researchers
and marketing analysts, but so far no bites. (You can't call it "data
mining", if it depends on "push" feeds like newsletters and white papers;
and I don't have the money to have access to the real search services
such as NewsMax and NewsSearch that these guys already have -- besides,
I am feeding from their competitors)

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA