internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] programming for kids

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Matt Pusateri" <mpusateri AT wickedtrails.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] programming for kids
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:34:31 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, March 10, 2005 9:10 am, Michael Best said:
> My son has been nagging me to help him write some programs. I've
> already
> gotten him started with some simple web page Javascript. But I was
> wondering if anyone here has suggestions for teaching an 8-year-old
> how to
> program (especially if he can make games).
>
> I learned programming when I was 11. It was BASIC on an Apple II+ and
> then
> later on the IBM XT. But BASIC is pretty dead nowadays, I'd imagine.
> I've
> also heard about Logo being a good language for kids to learn. Or
> maybe
> something like Visual Basic. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Best

My brother is involved with a private school in Raleigh as a technical
advisor. There seems to be a growing trend in education to replace
teaching basic as a first language and start teaching python instead.
Apparently b/c the way python is structured it forces you to learn
proper coding techniques, which is ideal for new programmers. I
myself do not know python, so I can't comment on the accuracy of that
statement. But thought I would offer it up as a possible direction to
look at.

Matt Pusateri