internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Contract terms

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <ksonney AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Contract terms
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:11:29 -0500

Heads up, this si a bit fo a ramble.

So it all really depends on the contract, the firm, and the terms.
I've worked contracts for IBM where I really work for a contracting
firm. The firm pays benefits, has sick time, etc. IBM Pays them a big
rate, I get a slightly lower rate. I have friends who worked the same
job, with a different firm and got straight hourly, no benefits, etc.

Some firms run straight hourly, some have a "salary" with benefits -
it depends on the contract.

Some contracts (temp-to-perm) allow the contract holder (say IBM) to
hire you on full time if they like you at the end of the contract.
Some are open ended, and are dependant on the firm renewing annually
(mine was like that at IBM). In most cases, the contract holder has to
pay the contracting firm a "finders fee" or buy out the contract in
some way.

Non-compete clauses are nearly worthless in this state. At most they
can maybe limit you to the specific city you were working in if and
only if you went to a competitor. When you read over the clause, look
over how practically enforceable it is (usually pretty non-enforceable
if it's overly broad), and go from there. One non-compete I signed
started with "in the world" and went from there. Practically speaking?
It was a scare tactic, and really boiled down to "The City of Raleigh
in Wake County in the State of NC" and the specific job function I was
doing at the time.

The important thing to know is who the contract is with, who the
contact is for, and what the general work conditions are like. Don't
trust the contracting firm to be completely honest when they say it's
a great dynamic environment where everyone looks forward to coming
into work every day, you know?

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:38:32 EST, DonBartholf AT aol.com
<DonBartholf AT aol.com> wrote:
> Who knows about typical features of a contract job. I've heard they
> typically pay a straight hourly rate with no benefits. That's pretty simple.
> What happens if you get sick with the flu and don't go in. Or can you take
> vacation/ personal time? If the contract is for 6 months, can they whack you
> earlier, can you dump them for a permanent job? Is a non compete clause
> typical? What else would be good to know?
>
> Don Bartholf

-- Kevin Sonney
-- ksonney AT gmail.com