internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cray super computer slips past

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: DonBartholf AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cray super computer slips past
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:25:09 EST

In a message dated 3/6/05 10:07:41 AM Central Standard Time, trekkie AT nomorestars.com writes:
Don't you need 3-phase power to run one of these bad boys?   When I
helped install Los Lobos at UNM in 2000 they offered to let some of the
guys there have a rack of IBM SP nodes but they needed 3-phase power.
  One of the guys looked into it and the electric company needed like
$8000 to drop a transformer in his back yard just to get started, so he
didn't do it.  What was kinda bummer about it is shipping would have
been free for him since the guy his mom married (as he put it) owned a
trucking company.

Not that I have room for something that big in my house anyway, just
still the geek bragging rights would be fun.
You can get a phase converter for a lot less if thats whats holding you back. The seller did relist the item, but only dropped the "buy it now price" by $25,000. There is a starting bid of $350,000. The seller also has a large x-ray scanner for $4000. Now that sounds more useful. I wonder what niche markets you could enter by offering scanning services. Set up an express line at RDU for a $10 charge,

Don B.