internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cray super computer slips past

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cray super computer slips past
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:07:16 -0500

On Mar 6, 2005, at 11:02 AM, DonBartholf AT aol.com wrote:

<x-tad-bigger>So - the Cray super computer on E-Bay did not get a single bid. Keep an eye peeled, these things frequently get re-listed for a second posting at a lower price. $999.99 anyone?
</x-tad-bigger>

Don't you need 3-phase power to run one of these bad boys? When I helped install Los Lobos at UNM in 2000 they offered to let some of the guys there have a rack of IBM SP nodes but they needed 3-phase power. One of the guys looked into it and the electric company needed like $8000 to drop a transformer in his back yard just to get started, so he didn't do it. What was kinda bummer about it is shipping would have been free for him since the guy his mom married (as he put it) owned a trucking company.

Not that I have room for something that big in my house anyway, just still the geek bragging rights would be fun.