internetworkers - [internetworkers] Linux zealots - Help me

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Linux zealots - Help me
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:08:23 -0800 (PST)

I'm having a problem with DHCP on my SLES v9, RHAS v2.1 and RHAS v3.0 Linux boxen.  The machines will get assigned a DHCP lease but they will not register their hostname with DNS.  I've checked all of the obvious spots - HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/resolv.conf set up correctly, etc. but no luck.  If I use dhclient.conf with the line "send host-name <HOSTNAME>;", I can get the machine to register with DNS.  However, there are two problems with this "solution" - I can't figure out how to modify the startup sequence to use dhclient.conf (I know "dhclient -cf" works but I can't tell where to use it) and one machine uses dhcpcd not dhclient.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Tom

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [internetworkers] Linux zealots - Help me, Tom Caswell, 02/22/2005