internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "Real ID" bill - was W Visit to Raleigh

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "Real ID" bill - was W Visit to Raleigh
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:02:11 -0500 (EST)

from B:

Or, I find, I'm probably thinking of the State of Emergency declared March 9, 1933, but never ended, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_emergency

Very interesting. I found a reference to Senate Report 93-549, the text of which claims to be reproduced here (I have not yet found it on Thomas.loc.gov, so cannot confirm the faithfulness of the reproduction):

http://www.wealth4freedom.com/history/EWPA.htm

Also see general discussions here
http://www.wealth4freedom.com/truth/waract.htm
and here
http://www.barefootsworld.net/srwep.html

One of these sites indicates that Congress gave the President the war-powers in an Act of October 6, 1917... smells potentially like
a congress-overreaching-its-constitutional-authority piece of
legislation, but that's just an impression, a hypothesis, not a
researched conclusion. Curious.

It is, in some ways, just more conspiracy theories and hoopla.
Hard to prove and harder to do anything about it. Truthfully,
the American government has been neither honest nor honorable
in its dealings with others (citizens or other sovereign powers)
since at least the Jackson administration -- and probably before
that. We have a long history of being assholes to our neighbors
and ourselves since we were a bunch of uppity colonies, and the
ugliness of today is just a continuation of that attitude.

Same assholes, new technology. Loverly.

happy valentines', everyone. peace and love. if we're lucky,
our great-great-[great-^n]-grandchildren will figure out how
to keep their world peaceful and clean for all its denizens.

--s