internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wireless in the Triangle

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Laughlin <jason AT jasonlaughlin.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wireless in the Triangle
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:36:34 -0500

I thought this might be relevant reading...

Boing Boing: Fake "neutral" report against municipal WiFi revealed for a sham
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/02/04/fake_neutral_report_.html

" A recent "independent" report did a hatchet job on municipal wireless networks, damning them as an expensive failure. Glenn Fleishman took the report to pieces in a series of long blog-posts, exposing its shoddy methodology and dubious provenance. Now he reports that the organization that produced it, the New Millennium Research Council, is a front for the telecoms lobby.

Morgan, Fiona wrote:

Hi there,

I'm working on a cover story for the Indy (scheduled for 2/16) on wireless access in the Triangle. I've been following what's been going on with municipal wireless in Philadelphia and other cities, and want to look at public hotspots, muni programs like Carrboro's, etc, and all the social potential of the different projects happening around here.
I'm definitely trying to steer away from just another wacky geeks story, or a
gear story; I want to localize the WiMax utopia ideas.

Hopefully, it won't sleet and I can come and meet you all at Café Cyclo
tonight. Otherwise, please drop me a line if you have some thoughts, ideas,
suggestions, etc. Thanks in advance for the help!

Stay warm,

Fiona
Fiona Morgan
Staff Writer