internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Wireless in the Triangle

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bruce" <bruce AT synthesiscreative.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Wireless in the Triangle
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:06:01 -0500

Fiona -

There are a few things I've notice but I don't know if it will help you.
I work on the road enough so that I've collected some favorite (free)
hotspots: Weaverstreet Market, Helios (Raleigh), Port City Java, Blue
Martini, among others. I always have my antennae up for more.

Anyway ... I was on 4rth st. in Winston Salem in December doing work on
my laptop as a passenger in the car and noticed that I had WiFi. As it
turns out the city beams the signal down 4rth for free. Kind of cool
but I'm not sure it helps the businesses. I try to buy coffee at the
shops I frequent to do work but I'm not sure I buy enough to justify
working for an hour or two - I feel guilty at times.

I know the owners of Third Place Coffee shot decided NOT to have WiFi
because it would alter the feel of the place to have people camped out
working and not socializing. It might be worth talking to them to get
an opposing view.

Good Luck,

-bruce

Bruce DeBoer
Director of Marketing and Business Development
Synthesis
112 S. Blount St. Ste. 101
Raleigh, NC 27601
Main: 919-523-6385