internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Google Video

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Evan Zimmerman <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Google Video
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:18:54 -0500

> wow. Do I bitch enough that people remember I hate(d) Google?

Probably just me, it was the first message when I joined INW, so I
feel obliged to give you a hard time, sorry. ;-)

> Seriously, though, this video thing makes me wonder... consider video
> surveillance

I agree with you on that to a point. I came across a link somewhere
awhile back, can't find it now apparently, of a search one could do
that was a signature part of wireless security cam urls' web access
feed -- so anybody who bought the things out of the box, slapped it on
a wall and plugged it in was broadcasting their home or business'
daily activity to anyone who cared to look. Scary.

> If an attorney suspects that Google might have accessed or stored
> surveillance images that were
> otherwise destroyed, can the Court subpoena Google or serve a warrant?

Google as neutral witness? An interesting idea -- I'd be curious if
it's been tested yet in court. I bet it has somehow. I have to say
though, the idea just doesn't bother me much, though I'm sure it
probably should if I followed the "what if" reasoning all the way out.