internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What kind of Mac should I get?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What kind of Mac should I get?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:50:46 -0500

Off the top of my head, I would figure your drive IO (speed and bus of the
hard drives) is your bottleneck for video, though a slow processor and
limited RAM don't help.

For Photoshop, faster processor(s) and more RAM should speed things up. I
would look at the Dual 2.0GHz G5 with 2GB of RAM. Don't forget a 23" LCD
display. If you haven't seen it, the 30" LCD is very impressive ;-)

There is a dual 1.8GHz to fall back to in case budget is an issue (it has a
slower bus, and will only access 4GB instead of 8GB of RAM).

Personally, I am still chugging along on my 1.25GHz PowerBook, though I
don't do any video (what I do I do with my dual 500MHz G4 tower which has
faster drives and more RAM), and my Photoshop work is only at web (screen)
resolutions.

For me, mobility is very important--I take my PowerBook home with me every
night, and to most any client meeting I go to, in case I need to demo
something. Unfortunately, G5 PowerBooks are still off in the future.

If you are coming over Saturday night, leave a little earlier and stop at
the Apple Store on the way over.

David

--
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC : 919.544.0086 : http://www.designhammer.com