internetworkers - [internetworkers] Home Entertainment Software

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Dan Wilson" <sipacate AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "internetworkers list" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Home Entertainment Software
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:59:37 -0500

I lost my Home Entertainment PC. Sad sad day.

I hatched a plan to use a Poweredge server (1400) I have as the media storage server and want to get a remote control (Read: Laptop) in the other portion of the house.

What I currently have:

Wireless network
Wired Network, 3 machines connected at all time
2 Poweredge servers, (one NIB, other set up as a UT server)

2 Older (win98e era) laptops.

1 32" TV
2 Home theatre systems.

My plan is to get one of the laptops set up with a light OS mainly for accessing other local computers and the internet. I'll stream video and audio to the TV and Audio systems.

My question for this esteemed council is, Which linux distro runs a GUI on really low system requirements?  Additionally, which software should I use for MP3 play and streaming audio play?

I really like winamp but don't know of available linux binary.

The only requirement for this project is it has to be stuff I already have or don't have to pay for.

dw