internetworkers - [internetworkers] Framing the Issues

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Evan Zimmerman <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Framing the Issues
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:19:58 -0500

This was a fascinating article I thought:

http://www.mollyivins.com/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=1790

It's not written by Ivins fyi for those noting the url. It's a
discussion of one of the reasons democrats lost the election, due to
poor/inability/refusal to frame the issues being presented in the
runup to the election, in contrast to the republicans' fantastic job
of doing just that.

One passage:
"How can progressives respond? They have to figure out what they
believe and then put words to it. 'When you think you just lack words,
what you really lack are ideas.'"

As firmly a democrat as I am, I've been frustrated at the lack of
_any_ democrat's ability to put forth a clear message. Howard Dean was
the closest to it, which is why he (IMO) went so far, but his
personality wouldn't sell. That complaint applies to what I've heard
from Libertarians, Nader and Greens as well.

For those of us who were mildly dumbfounded that so much of the
country focused on morals when other issues seemed more pressing
(jobs, war, healthcare, etc), it's enlightening.

--

Evan

evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com
http://evanz.org