internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Bogus Political Polling

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Bogus Political Polling
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:07:50 -0400

Tony,

I am surprised this is something new to you. This type of thing made big
headlines in the 2000 Republican Presidential Primary.

It is called "push-polling." A push poll is where, using the guise of
opinion polling, disinformation about a candidate or issue is planted in the
minds of those being 'surveyed'. Push-polls are designed to shape, rather
than measure, public opinion. Karl Rove is supposed to the grand master of
the push poll.

It is reported that George W. Bush¹s campaign strategists, including Karl
Rove, devised a push poll against John McCain in 2000. South Carolina voters
were asked "Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain
for president if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?".
They had no interest in the actual percentages in the poll, the goal was to
suggest that he had. This was particularly vicious since McCain was
campaigning with his adopted Bangladeshi daughter. The sight of the little
dark skinned girl made the seed planted earlier grow and John McCain lost
South Carolina, effectively ending his run for the presidency.

Here is a piece that Slate ran on the subject:

http://slate.msn.com/id/74943/

Looks like some Democrats are attempting to even the playing field. Too bad.

David