internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] (Sort of) a tech question!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Dasher <jdasher AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] (Sort of) a tech question!
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:10:59 -0400

On Oct 5, 2004, at 2:10 PM, Jim Allman wrote:

Just for a change of pace, here's another technical/business topic to ponder:

Woo-hoo!

It seems like software patents are creating quite a minefield for developers, and down-on-their-luck companies are starting to demand tribute when they have no better way of making money.

Does the emerging IP landscape (especially the stockpiling of patent portfolios by BigCos) spell trouble for independent software developers? I'm not just thinking about open-source projects, but also niche commercial apps.

I'd be interested in hearing how open source apps especially provide grounds for techniques and methods in the public domain. E.g., if someone had open-sourced a "one-click shopping" technique, would Amazon.com have been able to drive Barnes & Noble off the Web?

Are y'all worried about this? Is anyone taking steps to deal with it (liability insurance, patenting your own stuff, etc)? Or are you depending on the plankton defense (they'll never both me, I'm nobody)?

For all the good it may do, Cory Doctorow reviewed recent action -- well, it's a bureaucracy, so let's call it "decision to review stuff" - regarding copyright at WIPO. <http://www.boingboing.net/2004/10/04/massive_victory_at_w.html>

Cheers, y'all --

--
James Dasher
misterdasher dot com