internetworkers - [internetworkers] (Sort of) a tech question!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu, http AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:"//www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] (Sort of) a tech question!
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:10:26 -0400

Just for a change of pace, here's another technical/business topic to ponder:

It seems like software patents are creating quite a minefield for developers, and down-on-their-luck companies are starting to demand tribute when they have no better way of making money.

Does the emerging IP landscape (especially the stockpiling of patent portfolios by BigCos) spell trouble for independent software developers? I'm not just thinking about open-source projects, but also niche commercial apps.

Are y'all worried about this? Is anyone taking steps to deal with it (liability insurance, patenting your own stuff, etc)? Or are you depending on the plankton defense (they'll never both me, I'm nobody)?

Discuss..

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media