internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Triumph of the Stultocracy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Triumph of the Stultocracy
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:26:52 -0400

On Sep 28, 2004, at 6:46 AM, James Dasher wrote:

Was I a little fast and loose with my interpretation of "collective stupidity of the nation"?

Yes.

I was thinking more along the line of (referencing a sci-fi movie here) where 'people' are stupid and 'a person' is smart. When you put a bunch of 'people' together they get stupid. Panic in the streets, everyone waving a flag and if you're for us your against us and all that.

I was thinking along the lines of Leno walking the streets, of Penn & Teller getting people at a 'earth first' rally to sign a form banning di-hydrogen peroxide, of the two guys on the Man Show getting women to sign a petition to stop women's suffrage.

And this is not any attempt to invoke 'Godwin's Rule' here but the day the populace stops caring or paying attention to their elected government is the day we bring a new Hitler, Saddam, or other well known after the fact bad guy into office.

What always amazes me is that no one seems to remember that Saddam was a 'good guy' when Communism was rampant in the mid to late 80s. That's why everyone over there hates us so much, that and anyone that isn't part of their religion is a lower class creature that can be killed and disposed of no more than a bug and a windshield.