internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Intellectual Rights Kills Anti-Spam Measure

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Intellectual Rights Kills Anti-Spam Measure
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:51:16 -0400

On Sep 27, 2004, at 5:19 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:

I'm over simplifying, but it really doesn't matter. This was a proposal
whereby all mail server operators would register their servers for an ID.
This ID would effectively prevent spoofing or so they say.
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spam_senderid.mspx

Microsoft began taking signups a while back and one of the largest groups to
sign up were known spammers...so much for that working.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5359253.html

There was that, and if I recall it also required you to sign a license that went completely against open source stuff so Apache, and others wouldn't support it. So basically it ended up being Microsoft and the spammers wanting it.