internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Pacino does Shakespeare

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Pacino does Shakespeare
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:12:12 -0400

On Sep 7, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Thomas wrote:

Sil Greene wrote:
You should check out Looking for Richard, a semi-documentary of Pacino's
efforts to film Richard III. Been a while since I've seen it, but I think
there's plenty of screaming to keep you satisfied, Dave. :)

Definitely. That is a good piece. And you should see some of Kenneth Branagh's films of Shakespeare plays, starting with Henry V. He hews closely to the original language but makes it all very understandable. Really great films.

Thomas is right about this (for the most part). I thought the adaptation of "Much Ado About Nothing" was entertaining and excellent, even with Keanu playing a main role. http://imdb.com/title/tt0107616/

Why am I remembering something with Kevin Kline, but cannot think of the film? In general, I believe all these 'period pieces' must achieve something amazing to rise above the din of bland, blase, and boring. Just ask Reese Witherspoon!!

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp? sectionid=1267&storyid=1900428

"Modern audiences need to understand this character. We wanted to turn the period film on its ear. We didn't want bonnets. We didn't want to make another movie like every other one you've seen."

But Shakespeare for kids? Uhhh... I'll have to see it to believe it.