internetworkers - [internetworkers] Pacino does Shakespeare

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers:http"@happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/ <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Pacino does Shakespeare
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:12:22 -0400

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/ 0,5744,10699003%255E16947,00.html

After "Heat" and "Scent of A Woman" I am left wondering just how many lines Al can scream his way thru. Also perplexing to me is the innate drive of Pacino to get next-generation kids to read (Yes, that word was 'read', as in 'with their eyes' and 'from a book') the works of William Shakespeare. I honestly cannot think of one thing (besides the bible) that would drive kids away from reading more than that archaic, oral bungle that is Olde English.

Yes, I agree that many of the themes are universal and of course there are lessons to be learned. Just like their are lessons to be learned via "ER" or "Sex in the City." Yet the hollering elderly fail to realize that it bores the pants (or skirts) off of young people to read such things. I mean, why not have them read the ingredients off of a bag of lawn fertilizer? At least the English is up to date.

Anyway, not to start a debate on the relative merits of W. Shakespeare or his works, but I do not agree that this is the best way to encourage kids to read. I think Oprah does a much better job of presenting works that a greater percentage of the country can read, understand, and enjoy. No, it may not be the Merchant of Venice, but at least they don't feel like they just wasted two or three weeks reading something incomprehensible.

And from the article: "Meanwhile, Pacino has been spruiking the benefits of Shakespeare." What the hell is spruiking? My spell check does not recognize such madness. Is this an Australian word? Spelunking?

So, yeah - my vote on the idea of making movies (for kids, nonetheless) out of old Willy's works is Da-na-no, my biddy. Wa da tah.

--
Creating chaos in all the right places...
... http://ibiblio.org/matusiak/