internetworkers - [internetworkers] Edwards' MI-5

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Edwards' MI-5
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:40:47 -0400 (EDT)

errr... WTF!??

anyone familiar with this? I'm not even sure what to think of it. My
initial impression is that it's a bad idea, and that's not even based on
the civil liberties paranoia angle; bureauocratically speaking ... yeah,
all we need is yet another member of the already bewildering array of
intelligence agencies.

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5388509/site/newsweek/
> July 7 - The selection of Sen. John Edwards as John Kerry’s running
> mate has raised concerns inside the FBI and among civil-liberties
> groups that the North Carolina senator will use the campaign to promote
> his controversial proposal to create a new domestic spy agency.
>
> For the past 18 months, Edwards has been perhaps the Senate’s foremost
> champion of a much-debated proposal to strip the bureau of its
> intelligence-gathering functions and turn them over to a new domestic
> spy agency patterned after Britain’s M.I.5.

-Alan