internetworkers - [internetworkers] three mujaheddeen walk into a cave...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: quack AT ibiblio.org
  • To: "//www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] three mujaheddeen walk into a cave...
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:40:44 -0400 (EDT)

TERRORISM: We've got them right where they want us
http://hightower.fmp.com/weblogitem.php?id=1418

[...]

Imagine it's 1999, and three wild-eyed, bushy-bearded Islamist fanatics
are pacing a cave somewhere in Afghanistan planning 9/11. "We must destroy
American democracy," says one. "An America run by a dictator would be a
much better place."

"Yes," says the second, "and we must also curtail their freedom. Americans
have too many television channels, too many breakfast cereals and far too
many kinds of makeup to choose from." The third chimes in: "While we're at
it, let's destroy their whole way of life. I've always hated American
football, Oprah Winfrey sucks and I can't stand Coca-Cola."

What? This scene doesn't ring true? Then why does almost all public
discussion in the United States about the goals of the Islamist terrorists
assume that they are driven by hatred for the domestic political and
social arrangements of Americans?

[...]

Oh no, they're after our TV channels!!
--s