internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] straw poll - your opinion please

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: raustin3 AT nc.rr.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] straw poll - your opinion please
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:52:36 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wolfe, Joanna" <joanna.wolfe AT oup.com>
> The feature is a scrolling ticker similar to the one on the Durham
> County Government website (left hand column - under This Week) as seen
> at: http://www.co.durham.nc.us/
>
> What do you think about this feature?

I see no reason for it to exist. It is annoying at best. A dynamic
navigation list in the column would be much more effective in getting
the people to click on the links. My feeling is that this is a
wing-ding brought up by someone who likes blinking text on the screen.

The site seems to be fairly clean except for this "feature". I assume
that the audience for the site is citizens looking for county gov
info. How does the feature help them or would it make the search for
information more difficult for the average citizen? In my estimation
it would not be helpful to them. Keep it simple. There are much more
useful and cleaner ways to do announcements, etc.

Then, I surf the web with Javascript off and I despise HTML email
messages. YMMV. Enjoy, Roger