internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Cell Phone Virus

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Cell Phone Virus
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:34:24 -0400

Sorry, but these aren't the first cell phone viri.

In 2000 a virus for cell phones called Timofon was released in Spain.
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-241489.html?legacy=cnet

And some have been "leathal" - shutting down the phones or otherwise
disbling them - This happened in May of 2003 in the US and earlier in
Europe.

http://www.net-security.org/news.php?id=2555

And there has also been a virus that was transmitted solely through mobile
networks and cell phones. In Japan, the country's popular I-Mode wireless
service has been the recipient of attacks that caused the phones to make
calls to Tokyo's version of 911.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/personaltech/20040119-9999_mz1b
19phone.html