internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Iranian Security

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Iranian Security
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:34:04 -0400

You beat me to it Steve. Everyone things because computers are so good that
you can just encrypt something using elfin magic or something and it's
unbreakable.

Although in fairness there are still some unbroken codes...they just aren't
a priority to break. The statue Cryptos at the CIA building for instance
has a coded message on it that has never been broken. But if may fall under
the one-time pad category. No one knows and the creator won't say.

The real question in cryptography is security. A code is good if it cannot
be broken in the amount of time required for the information to no longer be
valuable. If we were going to the Burger King today at 4pm and didn't want
anyone to know, the code only need to be good until 6pm or so. That is
plenty of time to go there and leave. Of course we couldn't use that code
again. But it would be good enough for the job.