internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Last Question of the Day

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Last Question of the Day
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 16:44:05 -0400

Colleen McCarthy wrote:

Does anyone know why, when I'm VPNed into work from home, I can receive
email on my RoadRunner account but not send? Thanks! Colleen

Yes.

RR POP3 has user authentication. When you pick up your mail you provide a username and password that identify you as having a valid RR account. where you are on the greater network doesn't figure in; if you have valid credentials, they will allow you to interact with the POP server.

RR SMTP is configured differently. You provide an account name (username), but are not asked for a password. Rather than authenticate a session by password, the server filters incoming requests by network location. Only senders that are within the RR network are allowed to send mail. When you are on VPN, you are tunneling into the corporate network, and that is where the SMTP server sees your mail as originating. The account name only associates the outbound mail with your account.

Until RR put in new mail servers a few months back they did provide SMTP authentication and users could send from other networks by providing a password. I was sorry to see this change.

It is my understanding the Earthlink-over-RR cable service does provide SMTP auth. Only inertia has kept me from making the switch.

--rt