internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Outsourcing TO the U.S. for a change...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Outsourcing TO the U.S. for a change...
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:31:41 -0400

My ten years or so at a Canadian company (Nortel) have left me convinced of the uselessness of keeping track of which companies are "US" companies and which are foreign. As I recall, Nortel's "Corporate" HQ is in Canada but its "World" HQ is in the US (as is its US HQ, which is not in the same city). At one point I believe Nortel had fewer employees in Canada than in the US. (Now they have fewer employees *everywhere*.) Nortel is publicly traded and many Americans own stock I do, for instance. (*sigh*) The Canadian-ness of Nortel seemed to consist mostly of an occasional "Aye?" at the end of a sentence on a conference call and rather more interest in Hockey scores than one usually expects in these parts.
BigLee

Tony Spencer wrote:

I can't find the article but I recently read that number of Americans
employed by foreign companies was far more than foreigners employed by US
companies.

How many of you have been employed at one time or another by a foreign
company?

I have worked for two within the US:
Seer (HQ in Sweden)
IFS (HQ in Sweden)