internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Linux & the fool

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Linux & the fool
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:26:29 -0400 (EDT)

Do you *know* you're using LILO? the LILO prompt is (iirc) "LILO: " ...
if you get a pretty boot menu, you're probably using GRUB, which is a
little different in terms of providing boot-time options.

--s

Reported 04.04.12 15:18 from Alan MacHett:
.:
.:So now that I'm the supreme cheerleader for our little techie
.:neighborhood, I am required by law to display my ineptness with said
.:technologies. Here's my quandry:
.:
.:What does the lilo prompt look like? (The real kicker in this mess I'm
.:about to describe is that I'm running Fedora Core 1 (w/ KDE and Gnome),
.:and I'm a complete newbie to Linux.)
.:
.:The reason I ask is because I need to know where to type 'Linux single',
.:followed by 'passwd root', which apparantly is the means to my idiot
.:salvation -- I've locked myself out of root on my own machine. I wrote
.:down the password in my own human-hashed form, only to discover that what
.:I think the password should be doesn't match what I actually typed in.
.:Given the variables in the string, there are about 300 different
.:possibilities for it.
.:
.:Any and all assistance is, as ever, greatly appreciated!
.:Alan MacHett
.:
.:---
.:Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
.:You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
.:To unsubscribe visit
.:

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)