internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Music industry to shoot itself in the foot, again

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT mac.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Music industry to shoot itself in the foot, again
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:03:51 -0400

I agree, but...

On Apr 8, 2004, at 1:53 PM, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/business/index.ssf?/cgi-free/ getstory_ssf.cgi?f0037_BC_WSJ--DownloadingMusic

This is ridiculous. After iTune's price of 99 cents a download or $9.99 an album proves to be a popular price point, with even cheaper services on the horizon, the record industry wants to change the deal so that downloads for all new releases are more expensive than just buying the CD!

Fly or Die, N.E.R.D.

iTunes $16.99
Amazon.com $13.49

$13.99 at the iTMS

Self Portrait, Bob Dylan
iTunes $13.99
Amazon.com $10.99

Yes, Amazon is a lot cheaper, but you *do* get 24 songs for $13.99, so its still cheaper than buying per song. As long as the iTMS has been around, there have been large compilations/albums and multi-disc sets that have cost more then $9.99

Feels Like Home, Norah Jones
Napster $13.99
Retail(1) $12.58

I'm a big iTunes fan, and have been buying way more music than I would have before. I'll be reading through a magazine, hear a mention of an artist, and go download the CD if it sounds good. In the past the idea of having to pay for shipping when just buying a single CD prevented me from buying single CDs at a time, and waiting until there was two or more CDs on the list to buy just meant the impulse to buy was over.