internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Lufthansa Jacking Incident

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Lufthansa Jacking Incident
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:44:14 -0400

That aircraft is an older 747-230B (manufacturer's serial number 23286, line
number 614, first flight 5/16/1985) It was delivered to Lufthansa 6/25/1985
and registered D-ABYZ. It was leased to Alitalia from 1992 to 1994 and
during that time was reregistered I-DEMX and upon return was converted to a
freighter. Since Lufthansa is in the process of phasing out their 747
freighters in favor of a pure MD-11 fleet for their cargo division, this
accident shouldn't have much of an impact on their operations. Other than
rumors and hearsay I couldn't find anything online about whether this plane
will be repaired or written-off.

BTW, accidents and incidents like this happen more often than you might
think. Unless there is a reporter or photographer nearby you usually don't
hear about them.

- Bill