internetworkers - [internetworkers] Hypothetical question -- where to live out west?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Hypothetical question -- where to live out west?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:40:45 -0500

Suppose I were interested in moving out west ... what would be an ideal
location? Specifically, here are some requirements I've thought of so
far:

* Must be west of Mississippi
* Must have a reasonable cost of living (this probably rules out
California and Seattle)
* Should have a reasonably tech-savvy population, though I'm sure
nothing will match INW. :-)
* Temperate climate (I like NC's ... not interested in year-round
winter though I could handle warmer/drier areas)
* Not really interested in huge cities unless mass transit is
excellent. The only city I know that fits that bill is Chicago
but its climate isn't acceptable to me.
* Younger population ideal (I'm 24)

I'm contemplating a career/lifestyle change that would involve working
for the Union Pacific Railroad (hence the west of Miss. requirement).
So not EVERY location out west would work, but there are about 150 crew
bases and they are in just about every mid-size to larger metro area
west of the Mississippi.

Anyone here lived in areas out west that fit this bill? Any
thoughts/advice?

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |