internetworkers - [internetworkers] brainstorming for raleighlist, was raleigh.craigslist.org?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <s_l AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] brainstorming for raleighlist, was raleigh.craigslist.org?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:20:50 -0500

>I'm launching new features such as allowing users to upload unlimited
photos
>to their posts and a better internal site search.

That sounds like a good feature set as mainstream people are comfortable
using the web but may not have the resources(lack of web space or a web
space provider that limits off-site linking)/ability to post their own
images.

>If anyone has any ideas for local promotion of raleighlist I would love to
hear it.

I find marketing always a fun topic to kick around or brainstorm around so
I'll contribute some neuron firings to help...

Paul really hit the nail on the head when he wrote, and I'm
rephrasing/generalizing here, the value of any transaction-based website is
the people that it attracts. So you have to define who your customer is, why
they'll use service over what's existing, and where they are.

One of the techniques that made people so aware of hotmail was adding their
tagline text to the bottom of any messages. Adding such text to any messages
sent through the site would give validation to those that have advertised
goods/services that raleighlist does in fact visitors that act.

The real question is what is the goal? Do you just want a nice site with a
good vibrant community around it? Or do you want it to a commercially
self-sustaining ? It seems the real-estate section is the most active area.

- SL