internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] You want new news?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "//www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] You want new news?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:55:35 -0500

on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:43:20PM -0500, David R.Matusiak wrote:
> Okay, so the Craig's List thing was a bit stale. Apologies.
>
> Here is some piping hot news for you to digest.
>
> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/
> 0,5744,8724530%255E2703,00.html
>
> Why one Saddam-hating Iraqi is resisting the US

Because he's an idiot?

"The initial core of fighters started their attacks immediately after
the invasion, hating the idea of being occupied. Others joined later,
spurred on by the collapse in Iraq's infrastructure and the inability
to make themselves heard by their occupiers.

"The first attacks were just a message to the Americans, but they
responded by turning off our water and electricity, so more people
joined."

Perhaps I'm just a sucker for government-military propaganda, but it
was my understanding that the first wave of resisters was /responsible/
for the majority of the damage to the water and electric infrastructure.
That saboteurs kept blowing up powerlines and such while the Americans
were trying to rebuild them after ten years of sanctions and corruption
and so on had eroded them to the point of near-uselessness.

So this guy went to war against people for whom he "does sometimes feel
remorse...but not enough to make him stop", on the grounds that they
turned off the water that his leaders blew up or let fall into
disrepair, but this doesn't bother him because "in their country they
have freedom, not like us, and they could have refused to come here".

Wonderful. Strangers to logic.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier