internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mydoom vs. SCO

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mydoom vs. SCO
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:50:11 -0500

Uh, not quite. According to Symantec, infection installs a backdoor that can
allow download and execution arbitrary files. From their web site:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a AT mm.html

"W32.Novarg.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that arrives as an attachment with
the file extension .bat, .cmd, .exe, .pif, .scr, or .zip.

When a computer is infected, the worm will set up a backdoor into the system
by opening TCP ports 3127 through 3198, which can potentially allow an
attacker to connect to the computer and use it as a proxy to gain access to
its network resources.

In addition, the backdoor can download and execute arbitrary files.

The worm will perform a Denial of Service (DoS) starting on February 1,
2004. It also has a trigger date to stop spreading on February 12, 2004."

It has been suggested that the DDoS is just a red herring to distract from
the destructiveness of the virus.

David

--
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC : 919.313.4588 : http://designhammer.com