internetworkers - [internetworkers] Time Warner prices and service

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Wolfe, Joanna" <joanna.wolfe AT oup.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Time Warner prices and service
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:01:34 -0500

I had a problem with nc.rr.com in September where I could get an IP
address in the morning, but not in the evening.
(I shutdown both my computer and my modem when not online.) At first
they tried to convince me that it was a bad modem and they wanted to
swap it out. Knowing a tiny bit about networking, I told them that it
wasn't the network, it was DHCP that wasn't working (or had run out of
IP addresses). The folks from Time Warner kept giving me a song and
dance that I would have to call back during business hours to speak
with a higher level engineer.
Finally, a higher level engineer - who worked second shift contacted
me and we resolved the issue without replacing the modem. He
confirmed that there were DHCP problems.

That really is the only problem that I have had, I've had no problems
since. And they were happy to give me credit for the time out of
service.

Now, I did call them up and ask them if they could match the deal
being offered by Earthlink (dsl/cable).
The deal is $24.95 for six months then $34.95(dsl) or $44.95(cable)
after the six months. A 1 year contract and penalties apply.

Time Warner switched me to their "retention" group who offered me
$34.95 for 12 months with no contract.
It pays to ask.

Regards,
Joanna Wolfe

  • [internetworkers] Time Warner prices and service, Wolfe, Joanna, 01/07/2004