internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] That's Sir Tim to you

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "James Z. Godwin" <jzgodwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] That's Sir Tim to you
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 02:55:39 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Not to mention it's unconstitutional for Gore (or any american citizen)
> to receive a knighthood.

Whoa, man. Read your Constitution:

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 8:
"No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person
holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the
Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or
Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State."

Gore, while he was a senator, could not have received a title of
nobility without Congressional consent.. I don't think that this applies
to Tim Berners-Lee, though, unless he has a political career I don't know
about.

James