internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Hiring US Programmers at Outsourcing Salaries

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: raustin3 AT nc.rr.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Hiring US Programmers at Outsourcing Salaries
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:23:27 -0500

On Dec 8, 2003, at 10:14 PM, Roger Austin wrote:

How is this different than normal supply and demand economics? Why
is this news? If the guy was going to slash his current staffs' pay,
we would call him an asshole. He does the same thing (being
proactive) and he is some kind of wizard.

It *is* normal supply and demand economics, which is why its news. What we've been hearing is startups right here in RTP outsourcing their entire technical staff without ever giving anyone local a shot at a job at any price. I suspect the reason is most companies can't quantify the actual costs of software development. Now you'd think that someone you could hire at 80K a year would be more productive than someone you could hire for 45K a year, but then the hiring manager would have to know what they're doing. The last software startup I interviewed with didn't have a *single* *person* with even the slightest bit of software experience-- the business model had been cherry-picked, and an "experienced" management team brought on board, except what they were experienced in was getting financing. Having business experience is definitely a requirement, but I don't think investors would try to run a steel mill without at least hiring a single foreman who'd ever worked in a steel mill before, so I have no idea why these startups think that software development is so easy you don't even have to hire an experienced software manager, let alone actual experienced technical staff.

If you put up a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-
of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time
to dry. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC