internetworkers - DMA snail-spam opt-out (was Re: [internetworkers] snail spam)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: DMA snail-spam opt-out (was Re: [internetworkers] snail spam)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:17:45 -0500

I don't think this is a form from the US Postal Service.
Instead, the form being referred to is actually a service of the Direct
Marketing Association. They call it "Mail Preference Service" or MPS.

See this URL:

The form itself is here:

Not all direct mailers are members of the DMA, so this won't stop all
direct mail, but it should stop most of it. It will also not stop
political mailings around election time.

--Jeremy

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 09:16, jim AT neuse.net wrote:
> i couldn't find it. i only saw forms to create the problem and generate
> revenue
> for the usps.
>
> Quoting James Manning <jmm AT sublogic.com>:
>
> > > You have the ability to stop all unsolicited bulk mail through the US
> > > Postal Service. Just go down to the nearest office and fill out the
> > > form they give you and you'll stop getting a good bit of that mailbox
> > > filler.
> >
> > Any chance it's a form on this list?
> >
> > http://www.usps.com/forms/allforms.htm
> >
> > it'd be nice to download, print, fill out, send in.
| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |