internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Domain Registrars / Re: New Web Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Domain Registrars / Re: New Web Site
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:07:55 -0400

on Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:38:40AM -0400, Alan MacHett wrote:
> Steve Champeon:
> NSI: evil monopolist, despite "competition"

Well, they've changed their name, their Web interface is pretty. But
still an evil, and increasingly disruptive, monopolist. If ICANN has any
power at all (I never thought I'd find myself /hoping/ for ICANN to show
some control over the DNS) they'll not be long for the world of
registrars.

> REGISTER.com: I switched to register from NSI and for a week, they had
> excellent customer service, which they promptly outsourced to a firm that
> knows nothing and has no access to the systems you're calling to complain
> about. [also] has no way of modifying a contact handle - if I have fifty
> domains registered to 'hostmaster at hesketh.net' (and I do) and I need to
> change the contact mailing address, I have to do it on /all fifty/, one at
> a time. Feh.

Nothing's changed.

> JOKER.com: heard good things. cheap.
> GODADDY.com: silly name. heard good things.
> DOTSTER: it's not spam if you're a customer, even if they send it once a
> day for a year.

Nothing's changed.

If I ever get a good reason to switch away from register.com (mere utter
incompetence doesn't really count; they'd have to lose a domain or forget
that I'd paid, etc. for me to fork over any more money to another registrar
just to switch) I'm going to try:

> Scott Morris:
> OPENSRS registers for $10/yr. easy to use and has been very reliable since
> i've been using it (2+years)

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier