internetworkers - [internetworkers] proactive eavesdropping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] proactive eavesdropping
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 17:07:48 -0400 (EDT)

This is old news, but I find it fascinating. It's an excerpt from the
book I'm reading, _Killing_Pablo_, by Mark Bowden (of _Black_Hawk_Down_).

http://www.penguinputnam.com/Book/BookFrame/0,1007,,00.html?id=0142000957

"There was another nifty secret feature to Centra Spike's capability. So
long as their target left the battery in his cell phone, Centra Spike
could remotely turn it on whenever they wished. Without triggering the
phone's lights or beeper, the phone could be activated so that it emitted
a low-intensity signal, enough for the unit to get a fix on its general
location. They would activate the phone briefly when their target was
most likely sleeping, then move the plane into position to monitor any
calls he might make when he awoke."

-Alan

  • [internetworkers] proactive eavesdropping, Alan MacHett, 10/05/2003