internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Durham TREE SERVICE

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Durham TREE SERVICE
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:15:34 -0400

however, for those who need tree work done, be aware that the same
company that is excellent at removing a tree may be lousy at trimming
one to keep it healthy. Not that your guys are, Gina, this is just a
generalization.

We had a number of folks recommend a specific tree service (that I will
NOT name here) to us after the ice storms. When they showed up to give
us an estimate, they described how it would be best to "top" our trees
as their primary work plan. Being that another company had just given us
an estimate completely different in its work plan, I did some research
and discovered that professional arborists are strongly against ever
"topping" a full-grown hardwood tree, and say such a practice actually
can make the tree weaker and more prone to storm damage over time.
Needless to say, we didn't call them back. However, those who
recommended this service had used them primarily for tree removal, and
had only wonderful things to say about that aspect of their work. I
suppose specialization is present in just about all professions now!

Paula
whose trees still await the trimming, as it was already summer by the
time we chose a service.....