internetworkers - [internetworkers] hacking, googling, etc.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: brunkb AT ils.unc.edu
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] hacking, googling, etc.
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:25:26 -0400

Well, I'm happy to see that my post generated some interesting back and forth. I was kidding, I would like to get to an INW meeting at some point.

On the issue of trespass, that begs the question: Do we own our own bodies? How can I trespass inside my own head? After all, the wi-fi radio waves are passing right through us. That's why I think it is different than tapping a phone line. It's electromagnetic radiation being sent in all directions. It's a lousy medium for transferring confidential information in the clear. Would an employee get canned for taking all the files and leaving them out by the curb?

As far as potential employers reading my messages, I haven't seen that many advertising here of late, so I don't there's much to worry about. And anyways, if it gets too hot, I'll assume a new identity. It won't be hard with all these wide open wi-fi networks from which to capture all the data I'll need. I'm on my third new identity already.

Also, relying on googling others is foolhardy. Too many people have the same name. Plus, what's to stop me from impersonating any one of you on various message boards? I could say all kinds of nasty things and insult people at random, troll, and otherwise make a complete ass out of you, and thus create a completely different reality for your potential employer, date, etc. I could even get you busted by the feds. So don't piss me off, okay? I think I just thought of a great new business plan...DigiSmear.com "Mutually Assured Character and Privacy Destruction."

Ben