internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Wireless Network

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ken Pugh <kpughmisc AT pughkilleen.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Wireless Network
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 20:20:00 -0400

A previous post referred to the wireless network that Carrboro is installing. It mentioned the lack of a firewall for businesses. Obviously that is a problem for individuals as well. I'm wondering if anyone has had the experience of being hacked while using a public wireless network (e.g. Starbucks, etc.).

I use Tiny Personal Firewall as protection all the time, even with a firewall to my DSL line. I've heard Zone Alarm also works well. I've noticed obvious hacking messages at the rate of one or two every ten minutes while using dialup out of the office.

Does anyone know what IP address range public wireless networks use as a default? I'm wondering if they tend to use the same as my home/office network. If so, then I might change my home network, since I allow some stuff to get through TPF that I normally wouldn't allow from the outside world.

The other reason for using TPF is to block programs from connecting to the outside world. It's interesting to see how many programs want to phone home.

Ken