internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Spammers stole my check card!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Spammers stole my check card!
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:50:55 -0400

I suffered through a similar but much worse event about 2 years ago,
when a worker at one of the stores I purchase from regularly "stole" my
Visa Check Card number and expiration from his stores' daily evening
printout (mine, and about 8 other people, too, as it turned out). I had
no idea until I went to withdraw money at my ATM and there wasn't any
left! He had run through several thousand dollars in less than two
weeks.

The most amusing part: the guy was dumb enough to still be staying in
the local motel room he had rented on my card. When the police arrived,
he and his partying buddies also had a couple of stolen cars. woot,
woot.

The most mind-boggling part: Apparently no salesperson ever asked to see
the actual card, not even at motel check-in or when picking up concert
tickets. It really wasn't "identity theft" because he never even tried
to pretend to be me - he didn't even know my name! he just had the
numbers.

I got all the money back eventually, although it took quite a lot of
time and legwork to identify and de-legitimate all the purchases he'd
made. I apparently was somewhat famous at Wachovia Fraud as the gal who
caught her own perp (it was my dogged tracking of the purchases that
enabled the cops to get to the motel & arrest him).

I also have fraud alerts on all my credit reports now. joy.