internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Need advice on .iso files

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Need advice on .iso files
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:06:10 -0400 (EDT)

.:I just downloaded the three Red Hat 9 .iso images to a Windows machine
.:and now I want to burn these iso images to blank CDs. Can anyone
.:recommend a software package that will let me do this? Preferably
.:freeware/shareware, but I'd even pay for it.

I guarantee, if you got your CD-burner pre-installed or new in a retail
box, that you have burning software already. If it was pre-installed, you
probably don't have to do anything; if you bought it in the box, you need
to stick the driver CD in (that came in the box with the burner) and load
the software. Most retail CDs are coming with either Nero's Burning ROM
or Adaptec/Roxio's "Easy CD Creator" software.

It's possible the ISO file format is not associated with your burning
software. In Easy CD Creator, select File -> Record CD from Hard Disc
Image ... the dialog box looks for "Files of type" CIF (*.cif) by default;
you want to change this to ISO (*.iso). Then you can select your ISO
image in the dialog and open it for burning.

I don't have Nero, and haven't used it, so I can only assume it's similar.
(They might use a "File -> Open" instead of "File -> Record from Image".)

If you got your burner second-hand, you might not have gotten the
software to run it. You could try the freeware packages, but you'll
probably get better results from Nero or Adaptec. YMMV.

Good luck!
--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)