internetworkers - [internetworkers] domain name question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] domain name question
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:36:06 -0400

Deborah and I are trying to help out friends who lost their website. These folks paid some cousin's-sister's-friend to set up a simple brochure site for their farm a couple years ago. Apparently a divorce and bad blood ensued and said designer is no longer reachable.

The domain name expired last month and the site disappeared with it. Some of the content appears on the Wayback Machine, thankfully. Presumeably the content is still on the (free) server someplace, but these folks don't know who the host is and we can't find anything about it.

We tried to re-register the domain name, and PairNIC says it is unavailable. Netsol's whois says it is expired but unavailable, but we can "snapback" order it for just $69/year. Apparently the previous registrar was joker.com. Not a confidence-inspiring name. Joker's whois says "Name Server: NOT-RENEWED.JOKER.COM".

Questions:

- Is there a way to find the IP address for a recently-expired domain name?

- How do we get the domain name out of DNS limbo?

All sage advice will be much appreciated.

TaB