internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Bandwidth

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Bandwidth
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 machett AT ibiblio.org wrote:
> Let's say a webserver with users on cable and DSL...

Ok there are multiple ways to configure your webserver. There are also
quite a few different webserver packages. Specifics would help. I prefer
Apache on BSD or Linux personally. The
simplistic way to configure it would be to split the bandwidth across the
number of users. If you plan on hosting it on cable or DSL a maximum
number of users can be set for the bandwidth available.

As for cable and DSL for the most part cable and ADSL split the bandwidth
available across the users on that segment. A good example is your cable
modem tends to be much fatser at 4 in the morning when no one is up in
your neighborhood vs. 6pm when everyone gets home from work and logs in.
SDSL is a different story, more often than not it is a partial frame with
a TOS agreement that guarentees 85% of your specified bandwidth. That's
what I have from Speakeasy and am very happy with it. I host my own web
and mail servers on my 384/384 connection.

If you can supply specifics of what webserver you'll be running and what
kind of connection it will be sitting on I can probably be of more help.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com