internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Thanks Craig

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Thanks Craig
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 00:49:50 -0400

> It was great meeting the folks at the gathering tonight, I had a great
> time. I want to thank Craig for organizing, it was a big success :-)

It was a great gathering. Lots of newcomers, lots of oldcomers. Perfect
weather for a grand time on the Hibernian patio. An insightful trip to an
exotic part of Cary -- who knew that anywhere in Cary had parking problems?
Maybe it's that old part of Cary that predates the automobile...

Craig had the great idea of bringing name tags. With so many new people, it
was a big help. There was also an incredibly exciting side effect: the wait
staff had a much easier time handling bills. However, they had a few problems
delivering food. They have that system where one person takes orders but the
deliverers of the food are pooled and are randomly selected at food delivery
time. But the system breaks down when serving mingling techies that have no
positional stability. Too make things worse, the techies' listener threads
were becoming completely bound in conversations and couldn't catch the
server acks of "Who ordered the chowder?" and "Whose fish and chips are
these?"

Though there were some techie-to-food binding problems, I don't believe there
were any packets dropped -- with the possible exception of a glass that fell
to the ground late in the evening somewhere in the vicinity of Mr. Minton. In
the end, all the service loops closed and many new network loops opened.

Such concentricities and eccentricities will continue for many gatherings to
come, I'm sure.

Cheers!