internetworkers - [internetworkers] Bill Neal

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Bill Neal
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:40:23 -0400

Here's a great article in the New York Times on the late lamented Bill Neal, founder of Crook's Corner and champion of Southern Cooking. I have all his cookbooks. They are great recipes with literate and entertaining commentary that are great to read even if you never cooked a single one. I wish he'd lived to write more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/23/dining/23NEAL.html?8br

"In Chapel Hill, N.C., a cosmopolitan if out-of-the-way corner of the New South, Bill Neal, a self-taught, 34-year-old graduate of Duke University, was plowing the same furrow at a restaurant called Crook's Corner. He won regional renown for dishes like boned quail and shrimp with grits. He wrote a highly influential book called "Southern Cooking" (University of North Carolina Press, 1985, reissued 1989). Craig Claiborne of The New York Times came to visit and to praise — a sure sign, in that era, that a chef had arrived."

TaB

  • [internetworkers] Bill Neal, Beckett, 07/23/2003