internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Defeating the thought police

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Defeating the thought police
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:45:48 -0400

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 11:23 AM, zman wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:
But why stop there? Why pay to have a military that sits around most of
the time? The military is a monopoly just like the police. If
outsourcing all of the design, operations, and manufacturing duties is
good for NASA, why wouldn't it be a good way to go for the military?

Because all of the design and manufacturing is already outsourced, hence
that damn helicopter (the Osprey I believe) that will not die no matter
how bad the design is or how many tests it fails.

That's true, but we could save more by outsourcing entire combat divisions. Need to exert a little muscle in Grenada or Panama? Just hire a couple of divisions of Pakistani or India troops to take care of the problem. Not only would it be cheaper in the short run, but there'd be no longer term care costs should a soldier be injured.

No one really knows how to play the drums. There's nothing to know. You just hit
them with sticks. If you miss, just sit closer. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC